Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Not impressed with the winners...

So, I've been keeping up with the product ad contest Bubzbeauty posted about... not sure how long ago it was... Anyway, she announced there would be first, second, and third place winners, and seven runner ups. All of these people would get pretty sweet prize packages. I kept up with the entries out of curiosity of what people would do since the ads could be humorous and/or for nonexistent products.

I assumed the contest would have a few rules, like how long a video could be, how many people could participate, etc., but I don't believe that was the case. I also don't think that the entries were based too much on creativity. Here's the link to the "awards" video.

And now I'm gonna blab my opinion on all of the entries. If you don't like my opinion please hit the back button provided on your browser.


The seven runner-ups:

The Skittles stop motion ad: I actually really loved this one, but I am a sucker for stop motion animation. I've worked with stop motion for art classes, and it's a real pain in the ass. I know the girl worked hard, and I really think she should have placed in third at least. She worked with a camera, paper, pens, and Skittles to make a great video. Fuck yeah.

The 969 Printer ad: Good ad, really good. I think this one should have also been in the top three. But I could have lived without the making-out in the beginning. I just don't like seeing/hearing other people making out. Just a little peeve of mine. But it was a humorous ad with good acting.

iChoc ad: Bunch of girls in bright pants dancing. Okay. It wasn't bad, but it was too long. At least they looked like they were having fun.

Dove hair ad: This one wasn't bad, but it was boring. There was nothing original about it, nothing funny, nothing that jumped out at me. I really don't think it should have been a runner-up.

Robotic hand ad: Creative, humorous, wasn't super original but it was very well put together.

Nilum length & strength ad: Kind of up there with the Dove ad, but I liked it when she pulled on her hair and it just kept coming out (I know it was fake). Not bad.

Animal testing ad:
Nice animated ad, a good break from the other entries, but the concept has been done. A lot.


 And now for the top three...


3rd place was the Audio-technica: Assuming that person really did draw those images, damn good. It all flowed together wonderfully, and was convincing. I'm glad it won third place.


2nd place was the Rowing Boat Club: This was good, but I don't think it deserved to win second place. Why? It was pretty much a movie trailer, not a product ad. Didn't the original contest post state the entries should be for product ads? It wasn't bad at all, it was really impressive, but it was a fucking movie trailer.


Fun fact: Bubz is being asked to do a movie trailer contest. When she does I should post a fucking product ad video.

1st place was Smoking Kills: This has been done so many times I don't even... Great ad. But this person also had a bit of an unfair advantage. They seemed to be working with others that had extra experience in filming, and she was able to get a ton of people involved. Few entries had that advantage. And I'm getting tired of hearing Requiem for a Dream everyfuckingwhere. Beautiful piece, I love it, but it's been overused. Not saying the video was bad at all, but this person clearly had some advantages.

But here's what really pisses me off...


Klaire de Lys had a gorgeous entry. Given, I've never given a shit about perfume commercials. They're usually full of sex or the ocean (or both). They are the kinds of ads that you can't imagine what the hell it's for until it's over and a name flashes on the screen. However, Klaire's video was pretty damn awesome, and it's obvious she put work into it. She should have been in the runner-ups if nothing else. Shit, she should have gained a spot in the runner-ups over that Dove ad.

Can't please everyone. But dammit, Klaire should have been a runner-up.